Starbucks limited time Unicorn Frappuccino® Blended Crème seems to be everywhere today. And while I would love to indulge and try this color and flavor-changing marvel out at Starbucks, it seems that it is not vegan as it comes. I think if you remove the blue drizzle and the whip it would be vegan, but without that sassy sour blue stuff, I mean, what's the point? But props to Starbucks for using vegetable-based colorings like spirulina and radish and sweet potato!
But back to my problem. I am inside working all day at my desk and would love to sip on something magical. Well problem solved! This Copycat Unicorn Frapp is vegan, naturally colored with plants and actually has a whole bunch of good-for-you ingredients. So turn on some sparkly music and open the windows to let the spring air whip through your princess-y hair because it's Vegan Unicorn Frapp time...
Includes a video!..
Vegan whip on top..
Mango "syrup" version! (the syrup is just fresh mango blended with fresh grapefruit juice!!)
So first, the elements to the Starbucks version:
- Crème Frapp Syrup
- Whipped Cream
- Mango Syrup
- Blue Drizzle
- Pink Powder
- Sour Blue Powder on top
How we veganize all this..
- Ice = Ice
- Milk = Almond or Soy milk
- Flavors = Fruit
- Dairy Whip = Soy, Coconut or Rice Whip
- Mango Syrup = DIY Mango Syrup or Real Mango or more fruit or lemon or lime juice
- Blue Drizzle = E3Live Blue Majik algae powder blended with Key Lime or Lemon almond yogurt
- Blue Powder = E3Live on top + some lemon zest if you'd like!
"But Kathy, I do not have Blue Majik in my kitchen!" I know this will be like 99.9% of you, so I do have an option! Wild blueberries! Add about 2 Tbsp of wild blueberries to the blue drizzle blend. Your color will be more of a dark blue, rather than a light blue, but just use your imagination. That's what unicorns do best anyways, right??
And if you want to invest in a bottle of Blue Majik for pretty blue and unicorn-colored smoothies, you can snag it here on Amazon.
Mango Syrup? I actually didn't add anything for this, but I think it could be super yummy to add chopped fresh mango over top this smoothie as a sub. Or you could blend the mango with some lemon juice and drizzle it over top for a truly sour-sweet mango syrup copycat. Both sound like delicious adds that I will try next time I make this.
UPDATE! I made this again this morning using the mango syrup! OMG so much better! I also changed out my original vanilla almond yogurt with key lime flavor (from Kite Hill) also a huge upgrade. Today's shake had more sour-sweet flavors going on from mango, lime and grapefruit!
Watch me make it..
NUTRITION INFO? I calculated things and here are the details..
calories: 327 calories (yes, includes 2 Tbsp soy whip!)
Smooth and Thick Blend? To achieve a smooth and thick blend I use my Vitamix. I also make sure to use plenty of frozen ingredients to balance out the fresh. So if you need to use a fresh banana or mango, you may need to add in additional ice, or reduce the liquid. And if you are looking for an extra creamy texture, toss in an additional half of a frozen banana.
Insert unicorn emoji and sparkles here..
For the whip... I used a rice whip by Soyatoo today because that is what I had on hand. But I love homemade coconut whip best!
Vegan Copycat Unicorn Frapp
This magical blend is made using Blue Majik, pitaya, mango and frozen watermelon and banana. Enjoy this pink and blue-colored sip! Dairy-free whip on top!
- Blue Swirl:
- 1-2 capsules Blue Majik
- 5oz Key Lime or Lemon vegan yogurt (If you don't have lime, another tart flavor or vanilla will work)
- Blended Pink:
- 1 pitaya smoothie pack (I used Pitaya Plus brand)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fruit blend (mango, watermelon used**)
- 1/2 cup ice (or more for a frostier texture)
- Mango Syrup:
- 1 cup fresh mango, diced
- 1/2 grapefruit, juiced
- ** mango adds tartness and watermelon helps the texture - strawberry, raspberry or more banana could also be used
- On Top:
- vegan whipped cream (coconut, rice or soy)
- a sprinkle of the Blue Majik or rainbow sprinkles on top
- Swirl and syrup: Add the blue swirl ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a small cup. Rinse blender. Add the mango syrup ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a small cup. Place both cups in the freezer for about ten minutes just to thicken up a bit.
- Add all the pink ingredients to a blender (I used my Vitamix) and blend until smooth and frosty.
- Remove your blue mixture from the freezer and pour into a small plastic baggy. Seal tightly. Cut a tiny hole in one of the corners. Swirl the blue mixture on the inside of your two serving glasses.
- Add the pink smoothie to the blue-marked glasses. For best results you want your pink smoothie to be thick enough to spoon into the glasses.
- Add the whip and sprinkle on top and serve! Feel magical. Glow. Channel your inner unicorn.
Yield: 1-2 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 12 mins.
Total time: 12 mins.Tags: blender,unicorn smoothie,vegan,smoothie,breakfast,shake,pink,easy,starbucks, copycat recipe,dairy free
*disclosure: This post contains a Vitamix affiliate link. Ready to buy the best blender ever? Get free shipping by using my link!