Spring asparagus season is here! And one of my favorite things to do with asparagus is to make soups and dips in my blender! And this super simple recipe is a winner. This is a great way to load up on this very healthy spring veggie.
This Easy 5-Ingredient Asparagus Soup takes just a few minutes to make from start to finish and has a lot of fresh spring-y flavor. Plus I made a video for it- with plenty of cat bloopers per usual.
And check out the nutrient profile for this awesome veggie. Protein, iron, glutathione. I'm in!..
Spring green in this bowl right here.
Asparagus is a healthy veggie my friends! Check this out...
One cup of asparagus contains:
only 27 calories
about 3g of protein (whoa!)
7% RDA potassium
20% RDA vitamin A
12% RDA vitamin C
almost 3g fiber
and wait for it...
16% RDA iron!
Plus vitamins E and K and folate and glutathione (which is a carcinogen-fighting nutrient)
Asparagus may also fight cancer and be a brain booster! (according to this EatingWell article and a few other sources.)
And besides the healthiness of this soup, it tastes amazing. I love the simple flavors of asparagus, garlic, pepper and a hint of cheeziness from the nooch. The walnuts don't really add flavor, they just richen the texture up a bit with healthy fats.
Watch me make it!.. (And be really silly in the kitchen with my cats while I wear my fave Vaute Couture tee..)
Some other asparagus recipe I love..
Spicy Lemon Asparagus-Cashew Salad Sandwiches - so cute for spring tea time!
And this Asparagus Mushroom Cheezy Pasta Bake..
Green Sunshine Dip to make Asparagus Avocado toast..
Some fancy spins you could take with this recipe..
- Add lemon zest + a squeeze of lemon juice
- Add in 1/2 avocado to the blend or dice and serve as a topping
- Swirl in vegan plain yogurt or Vegenaise on top
- Add fresh herbs to the blend and as a garnish (fresh basil, parsley and more!)
Easy 5-Ingredient Asparagus Soup
This super simple asparagus soup is a perfect way to eat your spring veggies! Dairy-free, yes super smooth and satisfying.
- 1 bunch organic asparagus, woody ends sliced off
- 2-6 Tbsp nutritional yeast (start with one tablespoon and add more to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp raw walnuts (possible subs: extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 avocado or pumpkin seeds)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- to taste: salt and pepper and smoky paprika
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Slice off the woody ends of your asparagus and rinse the tips in warm water. Roughly cut or hand-break the asparagus in half, for easier boiling and blending.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water. Boil for about two minutes, just to soften and bring to a bright green color.
- Add the broth, walnuts, nutritional yeast and garlic to the blender while the asparagus is boiling. Then when the asparagus is done, transfer it, using a small strainer, to the blender. Add a pinch of optional black pepper.
- Blend from low to high until smooth. Do a taste test and add more nooch or s&p or walnuts if desired.
- You can keep blending on high or on a "soup" setting on you blender to further warm up, or just serve as warm as it is now. Or you could simmer on the stove for about five minutes to warm and reduce and thicken a bit. Serve with smoky paprika and black pepper on top. Best eaten same day.
Yield: 2 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 07 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 07 mins.
Total time: 14 mins.Tags: soup,easy,spring,asparagus,vegan,garlic,vegetables,blender
Another fave asparagus recipe of mine - from 2010: Sunny Asparagus Tapenade
What is your fave asparagus recipe?