The rain is pouring down outside my window right now, a big puffy grey sky hangs between me and the far away sun. The room is lit with a bright white glow and the air is fresh. And I love it. I am so freaking giddy with this wet weather we have been having in la la land the past few weeks. (ps. Have you seen La La Land? Loved it!) I got to wear my rain boots this morning and stomped around just like a happy five year old. And rain and coziness and winter means one thing.. soup!
Soup season is in full effect and I was craving beans! Bean soup. Savory, flavorful, garlicky, bay leaf-infused, peppery, smoky, veggie-surrounded bean soup. This Garlicky Two Bean Soup with veggies like carrots, spinach and onion is super easy to pull off on a busy weeknight, and it serves a packed table of hungry people. I loved devouring this soup three nights in a row and when it was finally gone I wanted to make more. It is even better the next day because the flavors marinate the veggies and beans. Swoon. The flavors are bold and warming and there is enough goodness and depth in each bite to make this your hearty meal for the night.
Hope you love it! (I include a recipe video too..)
Immune system boost! This soup contains loads of immune boosting garlic and antioxidants from all the veggies, plus spicy accents from cayenne and pepper and optional citrus from lemon too! This totally warms you up from the inside out and gives your immune system some support. And we all need that in January.
Recipe video for you today!..
And speaking of winter weather!.. Don't miss your chance to join me on a gorgeous wellness cruise this March! I will be posting about it soon, but just in case you want to hop on board, literally. I don't think there are too many spots left, so hurry hurry. And you get a $100 on-board credit when you mention my name when you book! (Special for January only, it is usually $50!) Details here or here.
Garlicky Two Bean Soup
This soothing two bean soup is flavorful and satisfying with loads of chunky carrots, beans, greens and garlic cheezy flavor in every richly textured spoonful.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil for pot
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5-8 cloves garlic, chopped (or more!!)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (or sub with white or sweet potato)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- pinches of salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, drained/rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cannelinni beans, drained/rinsed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- pinch of cayenne (to taste)
- 1-2 cups chopped organic spinach
- Additional spices:
- smoky paprika (to taste)
- cayenne and/or red chili flakes (to taste)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced + 1 tsp lemon zest**
- **I added the lemon, but forgot to crop this into my video above! I really loved the acid that the lemon brought!
- Warm a large soup pot over high heat. Add 1 Tbsp (or to taste) of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and stir around for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, bay leaf and half of the parsley. Add salt and pepper. I start off with a pinch of each and add more to taste if desired. Stir a few minutes.
- Add the veggie broth, beans and nutritional yeast.
- Reduce heat to low or medium and simmer for 20 minutes covered. Then simmer for another five minutes uncovered to help reduce the soup a bit.
- When the broth has thickened and the soup looks ready to serve, fold in the rest of the parsley and the spinach and allow it to wilt into the soup. Add in the optional lemon juice and zest.
- Serve warm. I like to add a sprinkle of smoky paprika on top and additional EVOO if I want a richer texture.
- I love serving this soup with Vegenaise toast! The creamy rich texture pairs so well with a veggie bean soup.
Yield: 4 large bowlsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.Tags: soup,vegan,vegetarian,beans,entree,dinner,easy,spinach,healthy,recipe