"Amok amok amok amok!" - Sarah in Hocus Pocus
Hocus Pocus is my favorite Halloween movie. I remember watching it when it first came out in 1993 when I was 12 years old. It was magical. Those houses on the fall tree lined streets were picture perfect to me. All I really wanted was to have a cute house on that street and hand out candy on Halloween to kids. Minus all the spooky witches of course. And apparently I am not alone, if you check out Twitter you can just follow #HocusPocus and see how many people adore the film. If you have never seen it, I hope you rent it this Halloween season!
So in celebration of my fave Halloween movie night, I whipped up some easy Hocus Pocus approved snacks, including these Run Amok Pumpkin Cookies with bits of everything in each sweet pumpkin-y bite...
My Hocus Pocus Menu
* "Run Amok!" Pumpkin Cookies - tender sweet pumpkin cookies loaded with crazy goodies.
* Allison's Easy Apple Cider - Easy lemon-y ginger cider with accents of cinnamon and star anise.
* Billy's Zombie Corn - Ghoulishly green popcorn with savory sweet flavors.
My second batch of cookies that I tested (pictured below) baked up a bit fluffier. (I always try to test baking recipes a few times and make subtle tweaks if needed.) I liked this fluffy texture a bit more so I put that recipe below.
Billy's Zombie Corn
makes 5 cups
5 cups popped popcorn (I did a coconut oil popped batch on my stovetop - like this recipe)
1/2 tsp spirulina
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp sea salt
pinch of cayenne
optional: drizzle of 1/2 tsp maple syrup
Directions: Simply toss the popcorn with the spirulina, salt, cayenne and nutritional yeast. Add maple if desired. The maple adds a nice sweet accent, but does moisten the popcorn slightly.
Allison's Easy Apple Cider
2 organic apples, cored and chopped
1 lemon, juiced
24 ounces water
1-2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger powder
2-3 tsp raw ginger, peeled
1 star anise
Directions: Blend all the ingredients except the star anise in a high speed blender, from low to high, for 2-3 minutes or until the liquid is smooth. Pour the mixture into a small sauce pot, add the star anise. Bring to a boil and the reduce to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes before serving.
Hocus Pocus Memory.. I remember the first time I watched it, there is that early scene with Max and Allison where she is leaving school and hands him a piece of paper, then puts on her red hood and waltzes off under the fall trees. I remember thinking, "I bet she is a witch!" Well I was way off, but I still love that I have those first-viewing memories with me.
And finally, the cookies!..
Run Amok Halloween Pumpkin Cookies
These tender cookies are studded with goodies and have a buttery pumpkin-spice flavor. Gluten free and vegan.
- 1 stick vegan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree, unsweetened
- flax egg: 1/4 cup water + 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Fold in:
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup nuts (any variety)
- 1/4 cup spicy pumpkin seeds - these add such a spicy-sweet accent!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with oil.
- Add all the wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl and using a hand or stand mixer, beat until smooth. Note: Sometimes vegan butter clumps a bit - this is not a problem once things bake.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and stir until fluffy.
- Fold in the oats, chocolate, seeds and nuts - and/or anything else you want to toss in!
- Place the dough in the fridge or freezer until it is chilled, and slightly firm in texture.
- Scoop dough onto baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack, cookies are delicate coming out of the oven. Serve.
Yield: 12 cookiesPrep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.Tags: cookies,halloween,hocus pocus,dessert,vegan,gluten free
Some more fun, these Today Show interviews with the witches from 1993..