These chunky, cheerful, vegan, gluten-free Happy Monkey Cookies are totally worth messing up your clean kitchen over. Yup, baking can be a flour-splattering, dishwasher-filling job, but in the end homemade cookies are sooooo worth it.
Especially these cuties.
Each plump, rounded cookie is studded with vegan chocolate chips, walnuts and Brazil nuts. With a hint of tropical banana, vanilla bean and coconut in every dunkable bite. As you will see in my video for this recipe, these cookies are perfect for dunking into a tall glass of almond milk. They are sturdy and chewy, and do not crumble apart.
And I love that they kinda look like giant balls of cookie dough. Loved these!
Get the recipe + watch me make them in a video!..
These are my spin on a "Chunky Monkey" flavored cookie. With chunky walnuts and Brazil nuts, chocolate chips and a hint of banana, coconut and vanilla bean.
...speaking of chunky monkey.. I am still endlessly searching for the vegan Ben & Jerry's flavors. Hope they come to my part of Los Angeles soon. Has anyone tried them yet? Fave flavor?
Giant chunks of my two fave nuts.. walnut and selenium-rich Brazil nuts.
Happy Monkey Cookies
These are my spin on a "chunky monkey" flavor. With walnuts, Brazil nuts, banana, chocolate, cinnamon and vanilla bean. Vegan, gluten-free and soy-free too!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (all purpose baking blend -- I used Arrowhead Mills)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp flax seeds, freshly ground*
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or one vanilla bean, seeds)
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped Brazil nuts and walnuts - raw
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, optional
- * freshly ground, powder-fine flax seed is so much better that store bought 'ground flax seed' -- I blend mine in my Vitamix
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. (Tip: I like to leave out 1/2 cup flour and fold it in towards the end just in case I want to add a little less or a little more based on how my dough feels. The banana size variability can make the moisture vary a tiny bit.)
- In a blender, combine all the wet ingredients.
- Stir the wet into the dry. Then fold in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour. Add a little more of less if you think your dough needs it.
- Fold in nuts and chocolate.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Serve warm. Store leftovers on counter for up to a day -- then store in fridge or freezer.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.
Tags: dessert,cookies,chocolate,chunky monkey,glutenfree,soyfree,vegan,banana
Curious questions of the day:
- What amazing cookie flavor have you baked lately?
- Have you been watching Fuller House on Netflix? I seriously love it. These cookies + Fuller House = flashback to every day after school as a kid!
ps. Do not forget to enter my $500 cash giveaway going on now! Excited to award one of you guys this fantastic prize!