In yesterday's post, I promised a yummy recipe to go along with my shiitake bacon. Well here it is! Sweet Potato Hummus Shiitake Bacon Avocado 'Dillas. These cheese-free quesadillas are packed with flavor and perfect for the upcoming Super or Puppy Bowl weekend. Warm up a skillet and let's go!..
Don't forget to enter the two giveaways I have going on right now:
- $50 Amazon Gift Card for whatever your heart desires. In my Popcorn Snack Bowls post.
- The best face/body oil ever. In my two-step VDay post.
These were such a hit, I made them a few times, as you can see...
One with jalapeños..
And one without, with an extra crispy 'dilla layer..
But first things first. This sweet potato hummus, made in my Vitamix.
The concept of sweet potato hummus is simple, you are basically making hummus as usual, but adding in sweet potato to make it extra creamy and with a sweet accent. I love smoky spices to accent like smoked paprika, chipotle powder or cajun spices.
I have a recipe here online as well as in my book Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen.
The hummus is the binding part of the quesadilla -- holding everything together without the cheese.
Then you whip up the shiitake bacon <- recipe here.
Then you put it all together for the tastiest, cheese-free quesadilla ever!.. (Ok, maybe not like ever ever, but you know what I mean.)
My first round of 'dilla, in the skillet. You could add sooooo many fun toppings to this like shredded carrots, diced bell pepper, fresh cilantro, diced tomatoes, salsa, onion and more.
Smoky, spicy, sweet and satisfying!
Now for the money shot. Scroll, very very slowly...
Sweet Potato Hummus Shiitake Bacon Avocado Quesadillas
These cheese free quesadillas are packed with flavor from sweet potato hummus, shiitake bacon and avocado.
- 1 extra large whole wheat tortilla (or use another variety or size, filling amounts will vary)
- 1/4 cup sweet potato hummus
- 1/2 cup shiitake bacon
- 1/2 avocado, diced or thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeño, thinly sliced, optional
- 1/2 tsp EVOO or coconut oil, optional
- Warm up a large skillet over high heat. If using oil to crisp up the tortilla and make it extra decadent, add the oil now.
- Spread the hummus all over one side of the tortilla, then add the shiitake bacon, avocado and optional jalapeño. Place the entire tortilla flat in the pan, open.
- Let the tortilla cook for 1-3 minutes -- depending on how hot your pan is. You just want to fully brown and toast the outside of the tortilla while warming the inside ingredients. Tip: Use warm or room temperature hummus and shiitake bacon for the best results. Using chilled hummus or shiitakes will mean you have to cook your 'dilla a bit longer to properly warm.)
- Lift the edges of the tortilla to check on the browning progress. When it looks nice and browned, flip over one half of the tortilla to close the quesadilla.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the 'dilla to a cutting board to slice into 4 triangles. Serve warm!
Yield: 2 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.Tags: quesadilla,mexican,vegan,appetizer,game day,snack,sweet potato,hummus,shiitake,mushrooms,avocado,entree,easy,dinner
ps. If you love this cheese-free quesadilla idea, check out this recipe too..
- Kathy's Cheeseless Quesadillas