I am sitting here with a big bowl of this beautiful golden rice in my lap. Pulled straight from the fridge. All cool and flavorful. Sweet and sassy. Richin whole grain goodness and plant-based protein.
Each bite of this Sweet Curry Edamame Rice has a mildly spicy accent mingling with sweet and slightly creamy flavors. Tahini, buttery edamame beans and a bit of maple and lemon to bring things to life... (video showing me make it included)
These Flavors. Tahini, maple, finely chopped red onion, lemon, turmeric, curry powder and cayenne accent fluffy brown rice, studded with lime green edamame beans.
This is a quickie post and recipe guys, I made it yesterday and just had to share it.
The recipe inspiration? My husband is obsessed with the vegan curried cauliflower couscous side dish from Mendacino Farms. I tried it the other day and totally agreed that is is delicious. And addictive. The sweet, spicy, rich creaminess of it.
So I did my own rice-based spin on that salad. The flavors are very similar but if you have tried the MF curried couscous salad, you will probably notice that they use a bit more oil (my rice is oil free with tahini and edamame for the healthy fats) and they use a lot of vegan mayo in their salad. I found their recipe on the LA Times.
..but shhhh, don't tell my husband because he claims he "doesn't like" vegan mayo. Ha.
..and for the record I LOVE vegan mayo. Grape seed oil Vegenaise is ALWAYS in my fridge. And it always tops my sprouted grain toast on soup nights.
So. Today's recipe uses creamy, nutty tahini. But feel free to use vegan mayo if you'd prefer. Or add a scoop to my recipe.
Enjoy! This is a keeper!..
Sweet Curry Edamame Rice
This warmly spiced, slightly sweet and totally creamy golden rice is studded with protein rich soy beans. So much flavor in this make-ahead dish! Serve warm or chilled.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, short grain
- 1 1/4 cups edamame, cooked (I start with frozen, then heat with a quick boil)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or add to taste)
- 1 Tbsp tahini (softened if needed)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1-2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- pinch of cayenne and/or smoky paprika -- smoky paprika is also used as the topper spice for color
- optional: a few sprinkles of nutritional yeast
- Chop onion and juice lemon.
- Grab a big mixing bowl and add in the rice, edamame and onion. Toss. Then add all the remaining ingredients and start folding until everything is mixed together and the rice turns a golden color.
- Serve warm or transfer to serving bowls, cover and place in the fridge to chill. I love this rice served warm or chilled.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 5 mins.
nutrition for the entire recipe..