Imagine the best banana bread ever and the best chocolate chip cookies on the planet had a baby. A vegan, dessert bar, baby. OK, so desserts don't have babies. But if they did. These bars would be that.
Dessert Bars. Because sometimes you just want a chunky, nutty, oat-filled, chocolate-loaded bar. These no sugar added, Medjool date sweetened chunky bars are rich, delicious and playfully healthy with scoops of raw walnuts, rolled oats and even some banana, vanilla and cinnamon to accent all the whole grain goodness. So turn up the oven and get ready to have some bar-tastic fun in the kitchen...
Bars. Sometimes even better than cookies...
These are so easy to make - you really don't have to worry about "messing up" this recipe because bars are more forgiving that fickle cookies that sometimes rise and spread perfectly, but sometimes have a mind of their own. Bars are easy for beginning bakers and anyone who just wants a fool-proof, crazy-delicious treat.
These luscious squares have some wellness benefits too (fiber rich oats, no added sugar, puffed whole grains, healthy walnuts and loads of antioxidant-rich chocolate).
Into the oven they go...
Out they come. And more chocolate on top. Because lets go all in on this #chocolate thing.
And these bars keep VERY well. You can jam them all in a giant plastic freezer bag and keep them in your freezer, ready to go when ever you crave one. Simply warm to room temp, or warm in an oven for instant, pre-baked deliciousness.
These are perfect for adding to school lunches, work lunch bags or for taking on a trek into the great wide yonder. Or, being stuck in traffic for a while, if you live in LA.
Chunky Chocolate Banana Walnut Oatmeal Bars
Chunky bits of chocolate, walnuts, oats and banana mingle together in these hearty, nutty oatmeal dessert bars.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted (1 stick Earth Balance)
- 10 Medjool Dates, pitted and lightly soaked in warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 banana
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup walnuts, raw (whole or chopped)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp orange zest (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups puffed kamut (or puffed rice) - unsweetened
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a casserole dish or brownie pan. I used a 7" x 9" dish. 8" x 8" would also work -- or something near that.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, flour, salt, cinnamon.
- Add the vegan butter, dates, banana and vanilla extract to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour this mixture into the dry bowl and stir until combined.
- Fold in the walnuts, orange zest, puffed kamut and chocolate chips. Stir well. Pour into the baking dish. Smooth flat with the back or a spoon or spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes -- edges will very lightly begin to brown when ready. Cool.
- Once cooled, pour the melted chocolate in a thin messy drizzle over top. Cool a bit longer -- then slice and serve warm. Or chill in the fridge and slice and serve cold.
Yield: 12 barsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 35 mins.
- Calories: 281
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 5g
- Dietaryfiber: 5g