I am sharing my favorite Mint Chocolate Chip Oat Nut Cookies for you today. This recipe is inspired by an old family recipe..
The first time I tried this cookie flavor of mint-chocolate-oat, I was sitting at my Great Aunt's kitchen table. My sister sat across from me, devouring the cookie in her hand, her blue eyes wide with oh-my-goodness-this-new-chocolate-chip-cookie-flavor excitement. There was a massive east coast thunderstorm rattling the house and pouring buckets of rain from a black, doom-filled sky. Trees shaking, thunder cracking, shocks of lightning flashing in the window, all while I nibbled my stack of warm and chewy mint chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.
Cookies, company and thunderstorms, my kind of childhood memory.
Luckily, you can have these amazing cookies as a cozy highlight to your day, minus the thunderstorm.
And ps, these are totally after-school-snack approved for this back to school season.
These cookies are made using a whole apple, blended into the 'wet' mixture. This technique is kind of like doing a DIY applesauce in a more direct fashion. I love how much body and texture these cookies have, while staying moist and delicate.
The whole apple not only provides fiber, but also a slight added sweetness and fruit-based acidity to react with the baking powder, for fluffier cookies.
For a crispier cookie, that is more browned, bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.
This is a spin on a recipe I posted a few years ago, but instead of using a flax/chia egg replacer, I just use a whole apple.
Oat-y bits with melty chocolate chips..
Fresh mint accent for a mint-chocolate flavor.
Stack of cozy.
Mint Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies
A fresh mint accent compliments the chocolate chips and rustic oats in these vegan cookies.
- 1 1/4 cup flour - I used all purpose, you may sub with gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 stick of vegan butter (1/2 cup, 8 Tbsp), melted
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- fold in:
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (walnuts used)
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line a baking sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend wet ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Place the dough in the fridge or freezer for at least ten minutes, long enough to firm up and chill a bit.
- Scoop dough onto baking sheets and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Add 2-5 minutes for browner, more well-done cookies.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.
Tags: cookies,dessert,vegan,chocolate chips,mint,oats,
More Vegan Cookies.. If you love cookies, also check out my 4-ingredient peanut butter cookies!