disclosure: This is a sponsored post as part of my 2015 DOLE ambassadorship.
Raise your hand if you have tried Disney's iconic swirled frozen dessert, DOLE Whip?
If you did raise your hand, you will know just why I am showcasing this sensually swirled, perky pineapple, sweet and silky dessert. DOLE Whip is so cravable that you basically need a DIY, copycat recipe.
If you did not raise your hand, well here is a little taste of the wonderment of DOLE Whip. And I hope one day you can find yourself in line (probably a long, long line) to try the real thing. But for now, this frosty fresh pineapple recipe is pretty fabulous!
Get my recipe, plus all the fun details for this summer's DOLE Get Up and Grow Tour - coming to a city near you!..
DIY'ed pineapple bliss..
The real deal DOLE Whip.... Cue the angels singing...
...DOLE Whip is so iconic and amazing that it has its own T-shirts, its own cult fan following and usually a line that wraps far around the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room, just inside the borders of Disneyland's Adventure Land - a short stroll away from the Indiana Jones Ride, as well as the Walt Disney statue.
I basically love DOLE Whip. It is vegan, dairy-free, rich in real pineapple goodness and the yummiest thing at Disneyland (and that says a lot!)
BUT when you are away from the lovely Disney Parks where DOLE Whip is served, you can satisfy your pineapple-swirl cravings by making this DIY DOLE Whip. Trust me, it is amazingly yummy and very close to the real thing!
DIY DOLE Whip Tips + Musts:
- Fresh Pineapple. To achieve copycat recipe perfection and pineapple bliss, you MUST use fresh, cut-by-you pineapple. Fresh pineapple helps you achieve the bold pineapple flavor that is so imbedded in each DOLE Whip swirl. So head out to your grocery store, buy a pineapple, chop it up and stick it in the freezer.
- Fresh AND Sweet. Make sure you pineapple is very ripe. You might even only want to chop up the bottom half of the pineapple for your DOLE Whip use, because the bottom half of the pineapple is always sweeter than the top half near the stem! Sweetness and sugars are most concentrated towards the bottom of the fruit!
- Ripe Bananas. The same rule goes for the bananas that you freeze, wait until they are starting to get black-speckled to freeze them. This ensures that your WHIP is as sweet and creamy as possible.
- The Liquid. Use a non-dairy milk that has some body to it, and contains some fat. I love soymilk. But for a very decadent swirl, try coconut milk! Just stay away from any of the "fat free" or "low in calories" non-dairy milks. Your non-dairy milk should have at least 60 calories per cup, in my opinion. Anything less is pretty watery, on average.
Some fruity fun facts about the ingredients in this recipe.. (courtesy of the Dole Nutrition Institute and Jenn LaVardera, MS, RD)
- Pineapples are a wonder healer. This sweet, tropical fruit is the only source of an enzyme called bromelain, which has been proven to reduce inflammation, provide pain relief and help skin injuries heal faster. It may even alleviate asthma symptoms.
- Bananas: Did you know they come in every color? While the ripeness of regular bananas is rated in seven different shades from dark green to yellow and “cheetah spotted,” other varieties are available in a range of color hues, including bright red. Most North Americas are only familiar with the yellow Cavendish variety
- Blender: A high speed blender is a must! I love my Vitamix. (Use my Vitamix link and get FREE SHIPPING!)
DIY DOLE Whip
This is a copycat recipe for the yummiest dessert at Disney Parks, DOLE Whip! Rich in real pineapple flavor and goodness, this dairy-free frozen treat is sure to please!
- 2 cups (frozen-by-you) DOLE pineapple cubes, from a fresh DOLE pineapple (cut by you)
- 1 DOLE banana, frozen
- 1/2-1 cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond, coconut...)
- First you a pineapple, wait until it is fragrant and ripe, then chop it into cubes. Freeze the cubes. Also freeze your own ripe bananas.
- Place the pineapple, banana and 1/2 cup non-dairy milk in a high speed blender like a Vitamix. Place lid on and start blending from low to high. Continue blending and use your Vitamix tamper -- Vitamix is advised for achieving best results.) You want to add as little liquid as possible to maintain the frosty thickness, but add more liquid in small splashes as needed to blend.
- Pour the frosty whip into a serving cup, swirl on top with the back of a spoon and serve! Garnish with fresh pineapple if possible. Colorful umbrella optional.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 5 mins.
Tags: dessert,pineapple,dole,dole whip,snack,breakfast,healthy,ice cream,banana
Get Up and Grow Tour! Coming to a city near you this summer!..
You guys know I am a proud fresh fruit + veggies DOLE ambassador this year. So I am excited to announce that the "Get Up and Grow" campaign is hitting the road this summer.
Check out the Get Up and Grow Tour Dates online.
"Multiple colorful Get Up and Grow! Tour caravans with rolling kitchens will deliver innovative new recipes, product samples, a do-it-yourself smoothie bar, free giveaways for the whole family and other activities specifically created to showcase the fun, flavor and preparation possibilities of fresh fruit and vegetables and a plant-based diet. Visitors can also present a grocery receipt showing a qualifying level of DOLE® fresh purchase to receive a limited-edition, commemorative Get Up and Grow! item.
The new recipes available for sampling range from the Banana and Blue, Breakfast Smoothie, Power Punch Smoothie and Spinach-Avocado Hummus to the Grilled Banana Parfait, Southwestern Gazpacho and more..” "
Take the Pledge Today + Check Out the Tour!
Feeling magical at Disneyland..
Do not forget to say hi to Elsa, after some DOLE Whip fun at Disneyland..
*disclosure: This post contains a Vitamix affiliate link. Ready to buy the best blender ever? Get free shipping by using my link!