If you haven't been sprinkled with some autumn baking fairy dust yet, you know the kind that makes you suddenly have an unquenchable thirst for all things muffin-topped, loaf-baked and warm-from-the-oven, this nine ingredient muffin recipe just might get you in the mood. And in the kitchen. Pair these Cinnamon Toast Morning Muffins with your first Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season, or with my favorite Hot Pumpkin Mug.
These muffins are moist and fluffy with cinnamon-sugar, espresso, buttery bliss and fall warmth in every cinnamon-toast inspired bite. Plus there is a nice amount of protein in these gluten-free, vegan gems. Share this muffin platter with your very best friends..
Inspired. I was browsing the internet when I found a (non-vegan) muffin recipe that inspired me. Sweet Butter's Coffee Doughnut Muffins. Cinnamon sugar-dipped with coffee built into the recipe. Well I simply had to veganize these dreamy bites.
And I think I did something right because these morning muffins are crazy-good. I will be making them all autumn long. And I will probably add in some pumpkin the next time I make these for some pumpkin-spice flair!
Two Versions. My first attempt at this recipe used organic whole wheat flour. They were light and lovely and totally amazing. But I wanted to try the gluten-free version too. And to my joy, the GF version is JUST as delicious, fluffy and moist.
Tip: Make sure to process your rolled oats long enough so that the oat flour you make is ultra-fine. (I use my Blendtec for this process, a Vitamix, another brand high speed blender or food processor will work.)
Wheat Flour Version...
Cinnamon Toast Morning Muffins
Warm and fluffy, these cinnamon-sugar topped muffins are gluten-free, vegan and just what you crave on a cozy morning.
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp oat flour (homemade from rolled oats) -- traditional wheat flour can also be used
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (pink salt used)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder (or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 11oz silken tofu (organic + non-GMO)
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 shot freshly brewed espresso
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- topping: 1 Tbsp cinnamon sugar mix
- 2 tsp vegan butter: for greasing muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with 2 tsp vegan butter.
- Process rolled oats into your flour. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon to a large mixing bowl and stir well.
- In a blender, add the silken tofu, cider vinegar, espresso, melted vegan butter and sugar. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the mixing bowl and stir until a batter forms.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins and top each muffin with the cinnamon-sugar sprinkle - generous amounts.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake another 8 minutes. Serve warm or store in the fridge or freezer if not eating within a day.
Yield: 12 muffinsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
- Calories: 221
- Fat: 9.4g
- Dietaryfiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
- Totalcarbs: 30g