You will never forget this easy, go-to, easily customizable hummus recipe! Make this dish a staple in your healthy, happy, vegan kitchen! 3-2-1 Hummus!..
I think you will agree: Homemade hummus is a valuable go-to recipe staple in every vegan kitchen.
And this easy to remember phrase "3-2-1 Hummus!" provides you the recipe you need to make creamy, rich, homemade hummus whenever you crave it.
Why is hummus so brilliant and wonderful?.. 7 Reasons!
1. Cook-Free! Hummus is a heat-free recipe. All you need is your Vitamix or food processor and some basic pantry items. Chill in the fridge, oven-warming is optional.
2. Hummus Anyone? Everyone loves it! I have yet to meet a person that doesn't love hummus in some fashion. Sure we all have our personal preferences for flavors, textures, temperatures and spice levels for serving. But as an umbrella recipe it offers something for everyone!
3. So. Many. Options. Hummus is customizable! By my last count, which was never, there are just about a ba-jillion ways to customize hummus by adding in a variety of flavorings and ingredients. And yes ba-jillion is a word. It means more than you can ever count. No, ok, I just made that up. But seriously. So. Many. Ways. Here are a few recipes I have made over the years..
* sweet potato hummus
* summer thyme hummus
* classic restaurant hummus
* tomato-garlic hummus
* pumpkin hummus
* sun-dried tomato basil hummus
4. Bean-tastic! Hummus is a yummy way to enjoy beans! Beans are one of those foods that you probably say you want to eat more often, but may not always actually eat. Hummus is bean-tastic! Chickpeas and even other legumes like white beans, soy beans and lentils can be added as well. You can even blend in foods like nuts and seeds (hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts..) for a fun nutrition boost.
5. Serve it Any Which Way. So versatile! Hummus perks up sandwiches, salads, veggie sticks, toast, crackers and more. And fresh hummus is so good you may even eat it by the spoonful. I love adding a giant dollop of freshly made hummus to my entree salads, or slathering it on some sprouted grain toast as a side. And hummus-infused sandwiches and wraps filled with fresh crunchy veggies, avocado, maybe some kalamata olives or sprouts are delicious!
Snack to try: I love simple hummus, spread on top of cinnamon-raisin sprouted grain toast for a sweet and savory snack!
6. Homemade made easy! You can walk down any supermarket fridge section and find a giant pile of hummus brands and varieties. But the truth is: you are in the wrong aisle!! Head a few doors down to the canned goods section and pick up a giant pile of chickpeas. (I like the boxed packaging instead of the cans lately.) Then pick up some tahini and a giant pile of lemons. And then follow this super easy to remember recipe!
7. Warm or Cool. Serve hummus warm or chilled. I love that hummus dip can be served chilled and thickened or warmed and velvety. Either eat straight from the fridge or turn on your oven to 400 degrees, pour the homemade hummus in an oven-safe dish, drizzle with your fave healthy oil, add some spices like smoked paprika and bake for about 10-15 minutes until warmed and creamy.
Hummus. Hummus. Obviously I have done this recipe before. But this is a trick so you never have to go googling a hummus recipe again! Here it goes.
vegan, makes about 2 cups
3 - 3 Tbsp tahini
2 - 2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed in warm water
1 - 1 large lemon, juiced
water - add a splash if needed to loosen the blend (you could also use more lemon juice or oil)
Plus: pinch of salt and pepper
Optional: 1-2 cloves of garlic -- or any other blend-in flavors
On Top: drizzle your favorite healthy oil and add a few pinches of smoky paprika
FAQ: wait, where is the oil?? The tahini adds enough fat to keep things velvety and rich. And water or lemon juice easily adds hydration to the beans. BUT if you crave a richer hummus, you can drizzle in some healthy oil like EVOO or walnut oil if you'd like.
1. Add the chickpeas, tahini and lemon juice to a blender or food processor. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Optional garlic as well.
2. Process on low until the mixture starts to smooth out. If needed, add a splash or two of water, lemon juice or oil to loosen the blend. You may also need to stop blending and scrape down the sides of the container to make sure everything blends smoothly.
3. Add in any blend-in ingredients if desired. Blend until smooth. Taste test and adjust salt and pepper if desired.
4. Scoop mixture into an oven-safe dish. Sprinkle with smoky paprika. You can serve room temperature, chill in the fridge or heat in the oven until warm. A drizzle of healthy oil on top is a nice touch.
Disclosure: I am a Vitamix affiliate and any links to their products are via my affiliate account.