I made this Maple-Pumpkin White Bean Quesadilla for lunch a few weeks ago with some leftover pumpkin I had in the fridge and I still cannot stop thinking about it! These flavors may not seem obvious to traditional savory quesadilla lovers .. I mean, smashed beans, pumpkin and maple? But yes! The savory sweet appeal of this quesadilla is so memorable, cravable and super delicious.
Melty vegan cheese mingles with the creamy pumpkin and sweet maple syrup. A few smashed white beans add texture and savory appeal. A few spices add even more flavor, try cayenne for heat or cinnamon for warmth. Make these toasty triangles just once and I am sure you will be dreaming of them again too! (And a holiday giveaway!)..
Maple-Pumpkin White Bean Quesadilla
1 extra large wrap or tortilla
1 tsp virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds, jack or mozzarella flavor
1/4 cup canned white beans, drained and rinsed (or substitute hummus of needed!)
1 tsp maple syrup, grade B
2-3 tbsp canned pumpkin puree, unsweetened
1/8 tsp salt
optional spice accents: pinch of garlic powder, cinnamon, black pepper and/or cayenne
serve with hot sauce and dipping sauce
Pumpkin Dipping Sauce:
2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
pinch of salt, black pepper, cinnamon and cayenne
1 Tbsp hummus (or a splash of melted coconut oil)
2 tsp maple syrup
Nutrition info per serving (with dipping sauce) - 2 servings total:
1. Prep your tortilla by slathering the pumpkin over the inside. Then add the beans and smash them into the tortilla with a fork.
2. Heal a skillet over high heat. Add the coconut oil. When oil is hot, place the tortilla in the pan. You can now add the cheese, spices and drizzle the maple inside the open tortilla.
3. Close the tortilla, by folding in half to create your quesadilla. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until very browned and crisp. If you are having trouble melting the cheese, you can cover the pan with a lid for a few minutes to lock in the heat and turn the heat to medium so the tortilla surface doesn't burn.
4. Whisk together the dipping sauce in warm in the microwave for 30 seconds.
5. Slice into triangles and serve with hot sauce and dipping sauce.
GIVEAWAY! Thank you for supporting my blog and new book 365 Vegan Smoothies this year! Please leave a comment about what your favorite Healthy. Happy. Life. recipe post of 2013 was and I will randomly choose one winner to receive a signed copy of my book + a Healthy. Happy. Life. tee and $20 cash to spend on all your new smoothie ingredients for a healthy happy 2014! Ends Jan 1st at noon pst -- if you share this link of Facebook, Pinterest or twitter, please put #shared and I will count your comment as two entries