This is my new favorite soup recipe guys. I call it Amazing Chunky Carrot Soup because the signature ingredient is large rounds of thickly sliced organic carrots. Also making a delicious appearance in each steamy spoonful: diced onion, fresh parsley, chopped garlic, tender pasta, vegan chipotle "sausage" and large cubes of potato. Oh and a few secret ingredients too.
Plus get my 3 favorite ingredients for making any vegan soup taste amazing!..
Kathy's Three Flavor-Enhancing Ingredients to Make Any Vegan Soup AMAZING:
1. Field Roast Sausage in Spicy Chipotle. This is my must-have ingredient for a quick veggie stew because just one vegan sausage adds so much flavor, a bit of fat and a nice boost of protein.
2. Nutritional Yeast. NY thickens the broth, adds lots of savory flavor and adds a nice dose of nutrients.
3. Bay Leaves. I always add a few bay leaves to my soup. It gives it that restaurant-y flavor. As if the soup had been slow simmering in a large kettle pot all day.
..these are just three of my favorites. What are your favorite soup secret ingredients?
Carrot Love! Carrots are rich in the antioxidant vitamin A. And cooking carrots, such as for this soup, may even help you absorb more of their beta-carotene..
"A study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry in 2002 showed that cooking carrots increases their level of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene belongs to a group of antioxidant substances called carotenoids, which give fruits and vegetables their red, yellow, and orange colorings. The body converts beta-carotene into vitamin A, which plays an important role in vision, reproduction, bone growth and regulating the immune system." - source, Scientific American
..I like to serve this soup with some nutty sprouted grain toast with Vegenaise spread on top. Perfection.
Amazing Chunky Carrot Soup
vegan, makes about 6 bowl-sized servings (dinner + leftovers!)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large russet potato, peeled/diced into large chunks
1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
1 Field Roast Spicy Chipotle Vegan Sausage, roughly sliced
5 large carrots, sliced into thick rounds
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (leaves and stems)
1-3 bay leaves
1/2 cup dry pasta (any variety - I used elbows)
4 cups No-Chicken Broth (vegan chicken-style broth by Imagine brand - or substitute with vegetable broth.)
1-4 cups water or more broth (add while simmering as desired to thin out soup)
optional: 1/4 cup salted peanuts (secret ingredient, adds a unique ingredient to your bowl)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2-1 tsp salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp fine black pepper
1/2 tsp dried bell pepper (optional)
optional: chunky-chopped celery would also be a nice addition
1. Place a big soup pot on stove over high heat. Add the oil, vegan sausage, onions and garlic. Saute for a few minutes.
2. Add in the carrots, potato and seasonings. Saute for a minute or so.
3. Add in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about an hour until carrots and potatoes are tender and pasta is cooked.
4. Add water and continue to simmer as long as you'd like to "reduce" the soup and intensify the flavors. I like to simmer my soup a good 2-3 hours.
Adjust seasoning as desired. Serve steamy hot. Enjoy the cozy carrot bliss!