Get ready for the New Year by making this vibrant chard salad! I think 2013 is going to bring this new trend in my kitchen: raw chard salads. Is chard the new kale? (OK, they both rock as super greens.)
This Color Splash Raw Chard Salad is perky and fresh with ribbons of freshly chopped swiss chard, plunged in ice cold water to re-awaken the leaves. After I tossed the chard salad with a maple-lemon-cider-pepper dressing I added in some veggies like bell pepper and radish. Sweet apple and walnuts too. Diced avocado to line the bowl. Over top the raw greens I added BBQ sauteed shiitake mushrooms all spicy and tender - steaming hot from the pan. Then some tofu triangles and crispy-edged triangles of cheezy quesadillas to garnish the bowl. Dive into deliciousness - fork first! And dive into health for the 2013!..
Tossing the chard..
Raw chard salad - delish!..
diced avocado rimming the bowl too..
tofu + quesadillas...
Falling in love with raw chard like me? Try my Christmas Tree Chard Salad too!
Color Splash Chard Salad
2 bunches green or rainbow organic swiss chard, sliced into ribbons
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup sweet citrus, diced (satsuma, orange, grapefruit..) + pinch of zest
1/3 cup sliced radishes
1 small apple, thinly sliced
2-3 Tbsp raw walnuts, chopped
*really, you can add in so many goodies to this salad - whatever is in your fruit bowl or veggie drawers.
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup, grade B
1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/8 tsp black pepper
optional additional spices: garlic powder, coriander and/or dried pepper flakes to taste
*you could also try: 1 Tbsp tahini or white miso paste
1/2 avocado, diced + tossed in lemon juice
1 1/4 cups shiitakes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red onions, diced
1/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce (any variety)
salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp safflower oil (for saute pan)
1 block (12oz) extra firm tofu, pressed dry and sliced into triangles
salt, pepper and additional spices (to taste)
1-2 Tbsp vegan BBQ sauce
1/2 tsp safflower oil (for saute pan)
1 large vegan flour tortilla (you can sub with corn or gluten free or sprouted grain too)
1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds (any variety)
1 tsp safflower oil or 1 tsp vegan butter (for saute pan)
1. Wash your chard very well and rinse in cold water. Slice into thin ribbons. Rinse again in ice cold water. Squeeze away any excess water. Add chard to a large mixing bowl. Prep all the veggies or fruit you will be adding to the salad.
2. Add the dressing ingredients to the chard in the large bowl, toss/massage well with your hands or salad tongs.
3. Fold the add-in salad veggies and fruit into the chard. (apples, radish, onion, citrus, bell pepper..) Also toss in the walnuts.
4. Pour the tossed chard salad into a serving bowl.
5. Dice avocado and toss with lemon juice. Add to edges of serving bowl.
6. Mushrooms: In a saute pan, add a tsp of safflower oil. When oil is hot, add the sliced shiitakes and onions and BBQ sauce. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add salt/pepper to taste. Allow to rest a few minutes before pouring over top the chard.
7. Tofu: In the same saute pan that you cooked the mushrooms in, add a splash of oil (no need to clean pan.) Add the tofu and BBQ sauce. Salt/pepper to taste and cook about 3 minutes on each side over high heat - until seared.
8. Add tofu over top the mushrooms.
9. Lastly, cook your quesadillas. Stuff tortillas with a few pinches of vegan cheese. Cook in either oil or vegan butter. Cook about 2 minutes on each side. Cheese should melt out the edges. Slice tortillas into triangles. Serve on the side of stick along the bowl edges.
Posted by Kathy on 12/27/2012