Bold red bell peppers sizzle in a hot skillet with thinly sliced sweet onions, chilies, black pepper and spices. Toss in some vegan seitan strips and melt in some savory vegan cheddar cheese. Toast a fluffy, fresh hoagie roll and pile in the Philly Cheese filling. Accents of fresh green cilantro on top, a few juicy tomato slices too. Your Vegan philly Cheese Sandwich is served. Crave this..
Special Request. I don't often get special requests from my husband. He usually just happily gobbles down whatever new or classic dishes I plop in front of him at dinnertime. But a few days ago we were reminiscing about one of our old favorite vegan delivery spots in NYC - 'Snice. He used to always get their vegan philly-style seitan sandwich. So simple - yet so delicious - with seitan, peppers, onion and vegan melty cheese.
Vegan Philly Cheese Please!
He offered up the challenge .. so I happily delivered.
This was an easy and fun dinner feast. I served our sandwiches with a light spring mix + avocado salad and some sunset sangria on the side. My sunrise sangria mix shown in the photo includes 1 part fresh orange juice, 1 part pomegranate juice + 1/2 orange (sliced) + 1/2 apple (chopped). Then you add it to red wine as you'd like. Serve over ice.
My vegan Philly Cheese Sandwich is made using farmer's market red bell peppers, a few green Anaheim chilies, some mild hatch chilies (canned), sweet onions, pepper, spices, extra virgin olive oil, a hoagie roll and a nice layer of melted vegan cheese.
Teese it. Since the cheese on a Philly Cheese is supposed to be melty, orange, cheddar and "kind of like CheezWhiz." (Or so I was told.) I opted for Teese vegan cheese. It melts in a flash and has a very "low brow" feel to it. However, Daiya Pepper Jack or Follow Your Heart Cheddar would also work.
Teese comes in a tube and you squeeze it out. It melts in seconds on a hot skillet - over top the veggies and seitan.
Seitan. I bought some easy seitan strips, WestSoy brand. For a gluten-free option, substitute with sliced portobello mushrooms - use gluten free bread too.
You could also use strips of tofu or tempeh. Or you could even make your own seitan using vital wheat gluten flour - if you want to go all Martha Stewart on me.
Vegan Philly Cheese Sandwich
vegan, serves two
2 vegan hoagie rolls, split down the center (optional: "scoop" the center of the roll)
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced into strips (use red an/or green peppers)
1 medium sweet onion, sliced
1/4 tsp black pepper
a few dashes chipotle or cayenne powder for heat
salt to taste (I used Penzey's seasoned chili salt 4/s)
1-2 tsp oil (EVOO, safflower or other to saute)
optional: 1 small Anaheim chili, sliced (or any spicy chili - jalapeno works too)
2 Tbsp hatch chilies, diced (canned)
cheese: 2-5 Tbsp Teese vegan cheddar cheese
seitan: 3/4-1 cup seitan strips (WestSoy brand was used)
garnish: fresh cilantro, chopped, fresh tomato, sliced fresh chilies or jalapeno
1. Prep your rolls and warm in the oven to toast. Tip: brush inside and/or outside of bread with olive oil if you'd like.
2. Prep your veggies.
3. Add oil to skillet and heat over high heat.
4. Add peppers, onions and optional chilies. Cook until the edges begin to blacken and the onions begin to caramelize. Add in the spices, pepper and salt during cooking process.
5. When veggies are just about done, add in the cheese and watch it melt over top the veggies. Transfer this veggie / cheese mixture carefully to a sheet of foil or plate.
6. While pan is still hot, add another small splash of oil and add the seitan strips. Saute until the edges blacken. If your seitan is already seasoned (As mine was) you can just add in some extra spices to taste if desired. Pepper, spicy cayenne, nutritional yeast - whatever you'd like.
7. Add the veggies + cheese back to the hot skillet and toss with the cooked seitan. Remove from heat.
8. Add the filling to the rolls. Garnish with the fresh cilantro, tomato and green chilies. Pepper too. Serve hot!
Posted by Kathy on 10/01/2012