If you are a popcorn lover like me, give virgin coconut oil a try as the 'popping oil' base - it is my favorite way to make it.
This Coconut Oil Popcorn is salty-meets-sweet-meets-spicy. Cinnamon and chili flavored. So simple to make, just grab some virgin coconut oil, your favorite organic popping corn, some warm, amazing spices and toss.
The aroma of this cozy bowl will fill the house with “maybe we should have a movie night just as an excuse to make more of this stuff” bliss. Get the recipe..
Cinnamon Chili Coconut Oil Popcorn
vegan, makes 6 cups popped
1/2 cup organic popping corn
3 Tbsp virgin coconut oil, unrefined
Add to taste:
cinnamon (around 1/2 tsp)
salt (around 1/4 tsp)
drizzle of maple or agave syrup (2 tsp)
spicy cayenne or chili seasoning blend (a few dashes)
*my chili seasoning blend had: salt, sugar, red pepper, black pepper, turmeric, onion, garlic, paprika (Penzey's Spices 4S Spicy Sprinkle)
optional: sprinkle of hemp seeds for texture and nutrition
1. Using an extra large stock pot or popcorn popping pot, add 3 Tbsp coconut oil over med-high heat.
2. Drop in 2-3 kernals and cover pot with lid. Wait until first kernal pops, then add in the 1/2 cup popping corn. Quickly cover with lid and beware any stray popping kernals!
3. Shake around pan for next minute as kernals pop. Turn heat higher if needed to help along the popping – just be sure to move those kernals around so the don’t burn.
4. After most of the corn has popped – turn off heat. Do not open lid as kernals should still be popping a bit.
5. Let sit until popping stops, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Toss with spices, salt and maple.
Posted by Kathy on 8/29/2012