Have you ever tried to eat just one kale chip? I can't do it. For me, not possible. One potato chip I can totally manage. But one flaky, crispy, light, savory kale chip and I kinda have to snatch up another one. And another. And before I know it the bowl or bag or tray is gone. Nothing but a few flaky bits of green that I then proceed to pinch up with my fingertips like the Cookie Monster nibbling up cookie crumbs.
But the best part about devouring kale chips ... it is super easy to make some more. My Super Cheezy Kale Chips recipe.
A very nice Saturday includes sunbeams..
And kale chippies..
And maybe a little work productivity..
I love having a kitty at my feet when I'm working..
And these at my fingertips..
These Super Cheezy Kale chips have a very mild spiciness with heaps of cheezy cheeziness in each crispy green bite. I just kept piling on the nutritional yeast and the result was pretty irresistible.
My husband devoured his plate of chips in under a minute. Crunch crunch crunch. Gone.
..shameless Saturday afternoon kitty pics..
Guilt-free snacking for Saturday. Or any day.
Snatch these up!..
Super Cheezy Kale Chips
makes about 4 cups kale chips
1 large bunch of kale
1/2 cup (or more!) nutritional yeast
3-5 dashes cayenne
1 tsp agave or maple syrup (optional)
1 tsp extra virgin olive or safflower oil (canola or even coconut oil work too)
a few pinches of sea salt (I used pink salt)
3-5 dashes extra fine black pepper
1. Separate the kale leaves from the thick stems. Discard stems.
2. Rinse the kale leaves in COLD water. Spin or pat dry VERY WELL. Wet kale will make soggy kale chips.
3. Toss your dry kale leaves with the oil, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, cayenne and optional sweetener.
Cooking method options: low-heat oven or you can also use a dehydrator! I need one of those badly... :)
4. Oven method: Heat oven to 300 degrees.
5. Arrange kale in a very thin layer on a greased baking sheet - or two if your bunch of kale was extra large.
6. Place kale in oven. Turn oven heat down to about 220 degrees. Allow to cook for about 30 minutes.
7. Check your kale and pull out any crispy bits. Bits that still seem "wet" can be flipped around a bit and stuck back in the oven. Turn up the heat a bit, but not past 300 degrees or you will walk away with "roasted" kale instead of chips.
8. Pile crisped kale on a paper towel plate and allow to cool and crisp up. Serve warm and crispy. If you have any leftovers (unlikely..) store in a sealed container with a paper towel-ed bottom. Store on counter as they tend to get soggy in the fridge. Kale chips are best eaten on the same day you make them.
Want to try a more complex cheezy kale chip recipe? Try my Spicy Cheezy Cashew Jalapeno Kale Chips recipe.
Want more KALE.. More of my kale recipes (pics below)..
* Spicy Peanut Kale Salad
* Kale Avocado Tempeh Wraps
* Fully Loaded Kale Salad
* Kale Enchiladas + Cashew Cheese
* Green Kale Breakfast Sandwich
* Green Smoothies with kale
* Vegan Macro Meal includes kale
* Spicy Peanut Portobello Kale Rice Bowl
kale in smoothies..
raw kale salad..
kale-infused breakfast sandwich..
kale spicy peanut salad..
kale and cashew cheese enchiladas..
Posted by Kathy on 8/29/2012