This Spicy Peanut Tofu Rice Salad + Twirl of Avocado is a rockstar salad - easy to whip up in a flash for lunch or dinner. The spicy peanut flavors that infuse the dressing and tofu are bold and cravable. The vibrant green twirl of creamy, buttery avocado slices compliment the rustic, nutty brown rice and protein-rich chilled tofu cubes doused in the bold peanut sauce. A fluffy bed of mixed spring greens lays the foundation to this sassy meets elegant salad feast.
Craving spicy peanut sauce flavors? This salad is one to try..
The secret is in the sauce. The star of this feast is the spicy peanut sauce. Super bold flavors from savory tamari, salty-bright white miso paste and plenty of rich peanut butter. Peppery cayenne and black pepper add spice. Sweeten things up with a splash of agave.
Substitutes. You can sub the agave with maple syrup - the cayenne with chipotle or another spicy chili powder - the tofu with steamed tempeh - and the tamari with soy sauce if need be.
Spicy Peanut Tofu Rice Salad + Twirl of Avocado
serves 2 entree/large portions (or 3 for smaller portions)
Spicy Peanut Miso Sauce / Dressing:
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp white miso paste
2 tsp agave syrup
1/2 cup water
2 tsp tamari
3-4 dashes cayenne powder (to taste for heat)
5 cups spring greens mix (spicy greens variety for me)
1/2 avocado, sliced long
1/2 cup firm tofu, chilled/cubed
1 cup cooked brown rice
chopped cilantro - garnish
chopped peanuts - garnish (optional)
dashes of pepper + cayenne over top to serve
per serving - 2 servings (entree size)
calories: 380kcal, fat: 18g, carbs: 42g, protein: 15g
iron: 14%, calcium: 16%, vitaA: 15%, vitaC: 12%
1. Add all ingredients for dressing to Vitamix or food processor. Blend until smooth. You can adjust peanut amount to modify richness of sauce - will effect nutrition data.
2. Cook your rice. For easy and quick lunches I love the pre-cooked frozen brown rice packs. I just pop one in the microwave for hot, steamed brown rice in seconds.
3. Dice your tofu. Toss the chilled tofu with the hot brown rice to soften it a bit. Then add in a few spoonfuls of the peanut sauce and toss. Do a taste test. Add in more sauce to taste.
4. Add greens to serving bowl. Slice avocado over top. Arrange in a twirl.
5. Scoop peanut tofu rice over top avocado.
6. Add additional dressing to greens as desired. Add garnish of fresh cilantro + peanuts over top. Add a few dashes of cayenne and pepper over top to serve.
Posted by Kathy on 7/31/2012