Here is a super cute, super simple twist one of my favorite summer beverages - the Watermelon Frosty. Meet the "Seeded" Watermelon Frosty! The tip + watermelon frosty recipe variations..
My favorite frosty summer sip - my Lime Watermelon Frosty.
Seeded. I recently discovered a cute way to not only improve upon the nutrient profile of this frosty sip - but to make it look super cute for your summer parties... Make it look like a true "seeded" watermelon frosty simply by adding chia seeds!
Chia seeds are awesome because they add a nice amount of fiber, protein and omega fatty acids. They were even featured in the LA Times recently as a popular super food: Chia Seeds are Popular Again - this time for nutrition.
Chia Seed Nutrition. One Tbsp of chia seeds provides about 70 calories, 3g protein, 5g fiber and 5g of healthy fat - including omegas. Plus a nice dose of calcium and iron.
1) Blend your frosty as usual. Recipe Here.
2) Fold in the chia seeds - I add about 1/2 tsp per serving glass. I sprinkled right over top and swirled into each glass individually.
Notes: Fold them in after blending - you can't blend the seeds with the frosty because they will break down - making them look less seedy and more grainy. But don't worry - these "seeds" are soft and bubbly since they plump up when they hit the melting frosty.
Allow the "seeded" frosty to sit for just a minute or so before consuming for more chia "plumping" action.
Nutrition Facts for Frosty. Per serving, my "seeded" frosty has about 134 calories, 2g fat, 3g protein, 5g fiber and 30g carbs. This frosty is rich in potassium and vitamins A, C and B6. One serving contains roughly: 1 cup watermelon, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 tsp lime juice, 4 Tbsp coconut water, 1/2 banana
Watermelon Frosty Variations:
Base recipe: 2 cups frozen watermelon + coconut water or water as needed to blend + optional agave or maple syrup or 1/2-1 banana
Tweak the base recipe with these variations..
1) Watermelon Lime = 1-2 limes, juiced + 1/2 - 1 banana
2) Watermelon Banana = 2 bananas (1 fresh, 1 frozen)
3) Watermelon Berry = 1/2 cup fresh strawberries or raspberries
4) Seeded Watermelon Lime/Banana = 1/2 tsp chia seeds swirled into each glass + 1/2 bana + 1 lime
5) Watermelon Mint Lemon = 2 Tbsp mint, chopped + 1 lemon, squeezed
6) Watermelon Coconut = 1/2 cup coconut meat + 1 lime, juiced
7) Spicy Watermelon = a few dashes cayenne
8) Watermelon Orange = 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange or 1 whole orange, peeled
9) Soothing Watermelon = 1 Tbsp chamomile flowers
10) Watermelon Grape = sub half the frozen watermelon with frozen green grapes
...and I'm sure you can think of a few more fun tweaks.
Get my Watermelon Frosty recipe here - plus I also did a video demo of this drink with my good friend Gena of ChoosingRaw.com (video viewable via recipe link.)
Posted by Kathy on 6/12/2012