Sweet Potato Avocado Veggie Burgers. They use the same base mixture of sweet potato mixed with a legume - but I've simplified the recipe even more and made these tasty burgers into petite vegan sliders. The earthy sweet black-eyed peas mesh deliciously with the creamy sweet baked sweet potato, accented with bold Cajun spices and a hint of nutritional yeast. Some thinly sliced red onion for bite and fluffy micro greens on top to complete the "tiny" theme.
Get this easy recipe - plus check out my La Jolla Cove Cali pics - cute sunbathing seals, seascapes and blue skies. So glad I was able to get in a mini road-trip this holiday weekend!..
First the recipe .. then my La Jolla pics!..
Black Eyed Sweet Potato Sliders
vegan, makes 15 sliders or 8 large burgers
3 cups black eyes peas (I used 1 bag, frozen)
1 1/2 cups sweet potato, mashed
1-2 Tbsp tahini
1 tsp salt (add 1/4 tsp at a time to taste)
3/4+ tsp spices (your choice! I used Penzey's Cajun seasoning + 4/S spicy salt)
a few dashes fine black pepper
2+ Tbsp nutritional yeast
1-2 tsp oil (if baking, fold the oil into the patty mixture, if sauteing add the oil to the pan.
spicy mustard + vegan mayo
thinly sliced red onion
vegan sesame slider buns (Trader Joe's)
avocado, tomato, other sprouts/lettuce (optional)
Nutritional info: each slider has about 50 calories with 3g protein and 2g fiber. These sliders are rich in fiber, vitamin A, iron, magnesium and B vitamins. Low in fat.
1. Bake, peel and mash your sweet potato. Add to large mixing bowl.
2. Cook your black eyes peas - I steamed mine. Add to large bowl along with the remaining patty ingredients.
3. Using a large fork or potato masher - mash the contents of the bowl.
4. If baking, heat oven to 350 degrees. If using stove top - heat 1 tsp oil in large saute or grill pan.
5. Form slider patties - about golf ball sized scoops of mixture. Baking: 350 degrees for 15 minutes for sliders. Larger burgers take about 22 minutes. For saute: cook about 3 minutes on each side - you want the outside to be toasty brown while the inside stays moist yet heated through.
6. Assembly: toast burger buns. Add a slather of vegan mayo and or spicy mustard. Add burger, thin red onion, optional avocado and tomato and micro greens - or another form of lettuce of sprout.
Off to La Jolla..
La Jolla Cove California - so pretty there! Sand Diego area - about 2-3 hour drive from my part of LA..
yay sun. yay ocean air.
walk down to the shore..
steps to the tiny cove beach - if snorkeling or sunbathing is your thing...
steps down to the rocky cliffs..
360 view of the Cali coastline..
Happy sunbathing seals..
More burger pics..