Omegas. I've been really into learning more about omega 3 fatty acids lately. And so I've been adding foods like walnuts and flax oil more to my diet - good vegan sources of omega 3's. And an easy recipe to use these ingredients in is hummus. I've replaced my usual olive oil ingredient with a mix of walnut and flax oils And I've tossed in a few omega-3 rich raw walnuts too. But you can use EVOO if need be.
Want to get more Omega 3's? For vegans, it is as easy as eating more flax and walnuts. And other moderate sources of omega 3's include beans like kidney and pinto, spinach, winter squash and broccoli. As well as other oils.
Always add walnut and flax oils to recipes at cold or room temperature - you don't want to heat them as cooking can destroy the omega fatty acids. So if you plan on baking this hummus or warming it in your oven you might want to use a super low temperature and bake for a longer period of time to help preserve the omegas.
Party Food. I love serving this dip is a big bowl, it looks so pretty and inviting. And this hummus is super delicious and perfect for a big bowl party dip!
Creamy Tomato Garlic Hummus Dip or Spread.
Creamy, flavorful tomato hummus with sun-dried tomato and garlic flavors. Dip it or spread it on sandwiches.
- 1 cup canned white beans, drained/rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained/rinsed
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 cloves roasted garlic (roast in oven with oil until soft)
- 1-2 cloves raw garlic (optional for a spicy edge)
- 2-3 Tbsp walnut or flax or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- salt to taste (about 3/4 tsp)
- black pepper and cayenne to taste
- optional: 1/4 cup fresh basil blended in + basil to garnish
- Prep: Drain the excess liquid from the cans of beans, rinse beans. Roast your garlic in the oven with some EVOO and sea salt - about 20 minutes at 400 degrees should do it. Wrap a clove of garlic in foil. Slice off the top of the garlic before drizzling and wrapping.
- Omit 1 tsp of the sun-dried tomatoes. Add all ingredients to your blender of food processor. Pulse and blend until creamy – thickness to your preferences.
- Serve in a big bowl with chopped sun-dried tomato on top. An an optional sprig of fresh basil. Optional: Warm in oven to serve warm baked hummus dip! About 20-30 minutes in a 200 degree oven should do it.
Yield: 4 cups - 8 1/2 cup servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 10 mins.
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 11g
- Totalcarbs: 26g
- Dietaryfiber: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0g