Fluttering through the produce section of Whole Foods on a seemingly ordinary shopping trip, I fell in love with a head of purple cauliflower. Veggie love at first sight. My eyes locked with those buttery florets of purple - hugged by broad green leaves - and a recipe flashed before my eyes. The most pretty in pink soup ever.
Soon I was swooning over this Pink Cauliflower Soup - a perfect starter dish for a romantic Valentine's Day meal at home. ..or eat a big bowl of it all by yourself. This stuff is so cozy-delicious you may not want to share. :)
Make this soup - and even if you don't have "purple" cauliflower I have an alternate recipe route..
I picked up this purple head of cauliflower at Whole Foods. Yes, purple cauliflower...
Rainbow-colored veggies like red carrots and purple cauliflower are a new trend I discovered way back at the NYC Produce Show. More colors mean more healthy antioxidants. And FYI, these colorful creations are natural - created through "traditional plant breeding." Ancient heirloom colors come to life. More info here from the Colorful Harvest website.
Fun Fact -> Purple cauliflower's color is caused by the presence of the antioxidant group anthocyanin, which can also be found in red cabbage and red wine. - SpecialtyProduce
So when I finally spotted this cauliflower on store shelves I grabbed it. Those pastel purple-blue clusters looked like something out of a Rainbow Bright or Care Bears episode. Hint hint, these colorful veggies may be just the thing to serve to the kids in your life - white cauliflower - boring. Purple cauliflower? Super fun.
And perfect for turning PINK for V-Day - with a little help from Apple Cider Vinegar...
Fun Food Color Fact -> Did you know that when it comes to food allergies, just because you are allergic to say, orange carrots, you may not be allergic to white carrots. Color pigments in foods can have a major impact on allergies!
Can't find purple cauliflower? If you don't have purple cauliflower (and use white) you can add some beet juice - or blend in 1-2 small boiled beets to create a more reddish color.
Pink Cauliflower Soup
vegan, makes 8 cups
1 head purple cauliflower, remove tough stem/leaves, break into pieces
1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped
1 cup water from boiling veggies
1 cup plain soy creamer
1-2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
1 medium shallot, sliced
2 tsp olive oil for sauté
2-3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 dashes cayenne
1/4 tsp lemon pepper spice
1/2 tsp pink salt (add more or less to taste)
(note: you can spice however you'd like. Garlic would be another nice accent to add.)
parsley & cauliflower florets as garnish
1. Saute the sliced shallots in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until caramelized. Set aside.
2. Boil a pot of salted water. Add the cauliflower in pieces - and add the peeled/chopped potato. Cook until tender. Do not over cook! Drain water - reserve at least 1 cup. (Yes the water will be blue)
3. Add the cauliflower, potato, shallots (and oil from shallots), soy creamer, spices, maple and salt. Do not add the vinegar yet. Blend on medium in a Vitamix or food processor until smooth.
4. Add in the vinegar. You will watch the color intensify to a pinkish tone. Yay. Blend on low. Do a taste test and add in more pink salt if needed.
5. Your soup will be warm enough to serve right away. Or store in fridge and reheat.
StumbleUpon it! If you like this post - please show your love by StumblingUpon it! Button at top.