I'm so excited about my recipe for super fun, super easy Saucy Mama Pacific Rim Ginger Summer Party Rolls. Perfect for your sunny spring or summer party. The recipe: rice wraps are filled with a flavor-infused crunchy slaw, Pacific Rim marinated sticky-sweet tofu and succulent mandarin oranges. Get my "Fab With Five" (5-ingredient) recipe!
And enter my Saucy Mama Giveaway! One reader will win a selection of Saucy Mama products! Details..
Enter the Giveaway by adding a comment to this post. You can earn an additional entry by tweeting the link and using #SaucyMamaHHL. Enter by Monday 5/23 11pmEST! I'll randomly choose one winner to receive a selection of Saucy Mama products! Shown here..
I love a good recipe challenge - so I decided to apply to enter the Saucy Mama "Fab With Five" Recipe Contest. In five ingredients or less, create a recipe using one of the Saucy Mama products. Now I had never tried Saucy Mama before this contest - but I fell in love with a few of her mustard's and a marinades - and yes many of them are vegan!
Saucy Mama sent me a few products to try out. And I fell in love with the Pacific Rim Ginger Dressing (or marinade). It has the perfect flavor to create a "Chinese Salad" style slaw - you know the kind that is usually topped with crispy fried wontons, mandarin oranges and more. Thus my Summer Rolls were born..
I served these little rolls as appetizers one night for guests and they all loved them! ..and these were all non-vegan guests.
Thanks to Saucy Mama for sending me the samples to enter the contest. If you'd like to try their Pacific Rim Ginger Dressing featured in my recipe below you can buy it online. It is currently on sale for $4.50! Deal.
A few of the other vegan Saucy Mama products include a robust Dijon mustard, a Sweet Heat Marinade and more. They were delicious. Very gourmet tasting, restaurant-style quality. Perfect for a busy night when you simply need to infuse some serious flavor into your dinnertime ingredients. Perfect for vegan ingredients like tempeh, tofu, seitan, roasted veggies, salads, veggie burgers, beans and more.
Saucy Mama Pacific Rim Ginger Summer Party Rolls
vegan, makes 8 summer rolls
8 spring roll wrappers
16 ounces extra firm tofu
1 cup canned mandarin oranges, drained
1 1/2 cups mixed cabbage slaw
3/4 cup Saucy Mama Pacific Rim Ginger Dressing
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 olive oil for sauteing
optional extras: wasabi, Pacific Rim Ginger Dressing dipping sauce, fortune cookies
1. Drain and squeeze dry your tofu - with a paper towel or tofu press. Slice into long cubed strips. Add to large bowl. Add in your Saucy Mama Pacific Rim Ginger Dressing and allow to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
2. Start the rolls! Add olive oil to your saute pan. When oil is hot, add in your marinated tofu and about about 3 Tbsp of the leftover dressing that the tofu was soaking in. Saute until the edges brown and the tofu edges become sightly toasted - and all the liquid has been absorbed or cooked down. Remove from heat, set aside.
Sauteed Marinated Tofu..
3. Grab your slaw - you can use a pre-shredded mix like I did or thinly slice some cabbage yourself. Toss your slaw into the same large bowl that you were marinating your tofu in - there should be about 2+ Tbsp of the Pacific Rim Ginger Dressing left in the bowl. Toss the slaw in the dressing until well coated. If you need to add another splash of the dressing, go for it.
4. Open your mandarin oranges, drain, set aside.
5. Time to prep your rice wrappers and assemble your rolls. Soak the rice wrappers one at a time in a shallow saute pan of boiling water - over medium heat. They will become soft in about 10-15 seconds - follow directions on package if they differ. Transfer the wrapper to a plate and add your filling: slaw, tofu and mandarins - add a few dashes of pepper as well. Wrap as you would a burrito and set aside. Continue until all your wrappers and filing are used up. Tip! I like to splash my softened wrappers in ice water - I find it helps keeps them less sticky and easier to work with. It may take a few tries to get used to working with the wrappers - but once you get it, it's easy breezy.
6. Serve! Serve with a side of wasabi, some extra Pacific Rim Ginger Dressing as a dipping sauce and maybe some fortune cookies as well. Happy Summer Roll eating!
Visit SaucyMama on Twitter and Facebook
Love the Saucy Mama. Fun.