Have you noticed that just about every lil' vegan sandwich shop has a Smoky Tempeh Wrap on their menu? Everyone puts their own spin on the recipe, but Smoky-Tempeh Wraps are just about becoming the "BLT" of the vegan world. I love them. I crave them! So like any good vegan recipe blogger, I crafted my own version of my favorite vegan sandwich recipe. Get it!...
Want More on Tempeh? Learn all about tempeh nutrition facts! And health benefits - and get more of my tempeh recipes.
Love at First Bite. I fell in love with Real Food Daily's Spicy BLT Wrap $10.75. Then there is Blossom Du Jour's amazing Smokacado Wrap $7.50. And 'Snice's Smoked Tempeh Wrap $8.75. All these delicious offerings include the following: a flour wrap shell, smoky-flavored tempeh, fresh greens inside, and some sort of delicious, maybe creamy sauce - among other ingredients.
So I figured, I love this wrap so much, why not try my own spin on this new vegan classic recipe?
Satsuma Citrus Carrot Smoke.. Lots of smoky tempeh logs are essential to my recipe. Plus I added in a creamy marinated carrot slaw - with the flavor of fresh sweet-tart satsuma citrus. A nice handful of fluffy greens all wrapped in a soft whole wheat wrap.
My delicious results...
(And ps - even though I know how to craft my own Smoky Tempeh Wrap now, I will still order it from my fave vegan hotspots - because sometimes it's just funner to have someone else make it!
Kathy's Smoky Tempeh Wrap - with Citrus Carrot Slaw
vegan, makes two wraps
8oz. tempeh, sliced into cubes or logs
2-3 Tbsp liquid smoke
2 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp agave syrup
salt to taste (at least 1/2 tsp)
Citrus Carrot Slaw:
1 cup shredded carrots
1 large satsuma or tangerine, peeled, sliced
1/4 tsp citrus zest
2 Tbsp tahini
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp agave syrup
1 Tbsp Vegenaise
1-2 tsp EVOO (optional)
salt to taste
2 XL Whole Wheat Wraps
2 cups baby greens
optional: 1 avocado, diced and tossed in lemon juice/pepper
1. Combine all Smoky tempeh liquids in a bowl. Add the tempeh. Toss well. Allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes. For extra flavor, marinate overnight.
2. Combine all carrot slaw ingredients. Toss well. Allow citrus slices to mash a bit so the juices marinate the carrots.
3. Turn on stove. Grab a skillet - place on med-high heat burner. Add a drizzle of EVOO - to coat the surface of the pan. When pan is hot, add the tempeh and any excess marinade liquid. Saute for about 2 minutes on each side (flip/rotate tempeh cubes). Tempeh will begin to darken to a caramel color when it is ready. Lighter version: omit EVOO in tempeh recipe, and bake the marinated tempeh.
4. Assembly: Add a nice layer of greens to your wrap. top with tempeh and carrots - and optional avocado.
5. Fold up wrap. Slice. Serve! Enjoy...