Today's inspiring Veggie Girl Power lady is raw food book author and chef Ani Phyo!
Four words I'd use to describe Ani: creative, charismatic, talented and vibrant. Get to know Ani!..
Ani Phyo is one of my favorite raw food authors. Many at-home cooks (omnivores and vegans!) are mystified by raw food cooking. Nuts, seeds, coconut oil, dehydrators, vegetable noodles, raw bread, kale chips, algae and more can leave the average at-home cook overwhelmed and ready to reach for the microwave!
..But it's authors like Ani that bring us into the light and truly make it all "look easy" - and most of the time raw food 'cooking' is actually easier than we think!
Raw Vegan Chef! True story! I sat down to watch a few of Ani's YouTube videos while preparing this post and I got blissfully lost for a few hours viewing Ani's recipes, TV appearances and raw food insights. Just by listening to her stories and watching her cook I picked up a few awesome tips and tricks - and was inspired to try more raw food cooking in my own kitchen! Bravo Ani. Check out a few of these fun videos (many more on her YouTube channel)...
Yummy Raw Layer Cake..
Awesome Test Kitchen event prep video (w/ a Top Chef and Next Food Network Star Chef-testant)...
Veggie Girl Power Interview: Ani Phyo
1. DRIVE: Yawn, sunrise, what is the first food/drink you reach for to start your "Veggie Girl Power" day?
Ani: Matcha, maca, cacao, spirulina, moranga smoothie made up of some or all of these ingredients.
2. SKILLS: What foods/veg products have you discovered that you simply couldn't live without?
Ani: Sea Vegetables and blue green algaes like cholorella.
3. HEART: As a "Veggie Girl Power" trailblazer you inspire many girls, who or what has inspired you?
Ani: Connecting our children to their food sources and the earth.
4. EXPERIENCE: When people ask you why you 'went VEG' what is your usual answer?
Ani: Meat just grossed me out, it was too close to human flesh, I didn't like the taste or texture.
5. CREATIVITY: Anyone can eat carrot sticks and hummus, but give us your most creative/oddball vegan snack idea!
Ani: Power balls made of ground flax, cacao, mesquite, maca, almonds, splash of water to hold it all together, sometimes I add gojis.
6. DEDICATION: When you first "went veg" what was the hardest part? - and how did you overcome those obstacles?
Ani: Surprised to discover how many prepared foods use meat stock or even for example bacon fat in hummus! Always ask how food is made before ordering. I tell people I have an allergy, this makes them take it seriously.
7. WISDOM: Words to live by: what is a favorite life tip or quote of wisdom?
Ani: Gratitude and counting our many blessings.
8. GRACE: How do you respond to negative comments from critics, in real life or online?
Ani: Everyone has their point of view. We all have unique paths in life. It's their opinion, they're entitled to having an opinion. I like to try my best to take them into consideration to help me grow. I actually love and welcome criticism.
9. PASSION: What is the one message that you always try to project to your fans/followers?
Ani: Be happy, have gratitude, be love.
10. PERSONALITY: Who would you award the "Veggie Girl Power" label to? And what have you learned from them?
Ani: Stella McCartney for creating vegan fashions I love.
Bonus Holiday Question: Veggie Girl Advice! - How do you get through the (not-always-veg-friendly) holiday season smiling and feeling fabulous from the inside-out?
Ani: Take food with me to gatherings that I want to eat, make extras to share with everyone else.
Hear more from Ani on her website: AniPhyo.com
Ani Phyo Facebook Fan Page
You Tube Channel: Ani Phyo
Also see, www.GoSuperLife.com
Complete VGP Series Schedule 2010
Last Years VGP Series 2009
Posted by Kathy on 12/07/2010