My Rustic Three Squash Soup is the perfect silky spoonful to keep you cozy on a brisk fall day. Sip in splendor as visions of pumpkin patches, crunchy brown leaves, scurrying squirrels, flickering candlelight, fluffy scarves and fall breezes dance in your head..
Simple. Healthy. Rustic. The ingredients for this vegan recipe are simple. The idea is to really be able to taste the complexity of the fall squash. Pure squash flavor. This soup is dairy free, yet still incredibly creamy, silky and luscious. Sip a bowl and you will be loading up on fiber, vitamin A, potassium and more. Fall squash season is here. Embrace it..
Swooning over my squash spoonful..
Rustic Three Squash Soup..
Farmer's Market Squash. Last week I was hypnotized by the colorful, diverse varieties of fall/winter squash at the Farmer's Market. I loaded up. I didn't leave with just one squash, I left with five squash varieties. From a tiny plump buttercup squash to a large peach-colored butternut squash - and even a gorgeous White Acorn Squash with a frosty pineapple colored rind. I also loaded up on potatoes, apples, broccoli, watermelon radish, greens, tomatoes, onions and more.
Market trip complete, I had three big bags, filled to the brim, strapped around my body like a glove. I felt like a produce Sherpa.
Then I waddled myself home like a plump little duck.
I never learn. I always stuff - to the brim - every last reusable bag I bring to the Farmer's Market. I make my ungraceful exit bursting at the seams with produce. And it gets worse from there. Because I am terribly stubborn, I insist on dragging myself all the way home on foot. Seems reasonable right? Well not if you find each and every step a painful, muscle-trembling experience. Where are my motorized roller skates when I need them? (Do those exist yet?)
OK, so there was that one time I had to hail a cab. But oh how I hated myself for it. Ah, anyways, my squash made it home just fine. And into my soup bowl it will go!..
Well worth the achy muscles.
Scary Squash. I used to be freaked out by squash. Heavy. Hard. Large. Slimy seeds. But after a simply roasting that hard, thick-skinned squash turns into golden, spoonable yumminess. If you like sweet potatoes (as most people do) you'll probably love fall squash as well.
Homemade is Better. You know how you like to order "butternut squash" soup when it is the 'soup of the day'? Well guess what, homemade is better! And cheaper.
Rustic Three Squash Soup
vegan, makes about 5-6 cups
4-5 cups roasted squash, scooped
can be any combo (I used 1 medium butternut squash/1 tiny buttercup squash/1 medium carnival squash)
1 cup plain soy milk (or hemp milk)
1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp vegan buttery spread (or your fave oil - EVOO, pumpkin, macadamia, grape seed)
1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
garnish: a few leftover squash slices and cayenne
sweetness note: If you'd like to add sugar, add in 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional depending how sweet your squash varieties are, and how sweet you like it)
1. Wash each squash. Slice in half. Remove most seeds. (A few seeds is OK - they will actually add some toasted nutty flavor when blended into the soup.)
halved squash (raw)..
2. Turn oven to 375 degrees. Fill a large glass casserole dish 1 inch high with water. Place each squash face down in the water. (If you need to use two dishes, go for it). The great thing about adding water is that it hydrates the squash, making the squash easier to blend for soup.
3. Roast the squash for 45 minutes - or until tender.
halved squash, roasted..
4. Pull squash from the oven and drain hot water. Rinse squash in ice cold water. Then begin scooping out the flesh into a large bowl.
5. When all the flesh is scooped you should have around 4 cups. (note: a few soft skins are OK if they are scooped as well).
6. Last step is to place the squash and all the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
7. Serve immediately - so the squash soup is warm but not hot. You can also store in the fridge and reheat as necessary - or heat to boiling on the stove for a hot squash soup.
Butternut Squash halved..
Carnival Squash halved..