Fall television season has begun. Monday Night Football, Glee, Grey's Anatomy, The Apprentice, House, Hell's Kitchen, Reality TV - whatever "your show" may be, there is one thing that always makes it better: snacks!..
And for those of you who watch "the big game" (or show) this week or the next, you may crave a tasty, homemade snack that's hot-from-the-oven delicious, easy to make and healthy too! Put down the potato chips and click on your oven. In around 20 minutes you'll have a basketful of crispy, zesty, spicy, bold Savory-Roasted Tiny Taters.
But you have been warned, make these crispy taters once - and you may be hosting "TV/game day" more often than before!
Not into TV this fall? Don't worry, these tater's pair quite nicely with 'study time' 'party time' 'dinner time' or even 'breakfast time' - such cute and versatile little potatoes, aren't they? Get my vegan recipe!..
Tiny Potatoes. You can use just about any tiny potatoes for this recipe. The teeny-tinier the better! I have made this recipe a few times now (my husband LOVES these taters). Once I used a bag full of Trader Joe's golden tiny potatoes, and the next time I used some mixed color "peanut" potatoes I bought at Eataly.
If you use larger potatoes (like the medium-sized red potatoes, or even larger golden potatoes) just be sure and slice the potatoes into tiny bits - no larger than a quarter (when sliced)...
And as always, feel free to boost the boldness by adding more of my spices/seasonings.
Savory-Roasted Tiny Taters
vegan, serves 2-3 for snacking
2 1/2 cups tiny potatoes, halved
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
2-3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp cumin
2-3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
salt to taste
opt'l: coarse sea salt over top cooked taters
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Wash and slice your tiny potatoes. Halve small potatoes, quarter medium potatoes.
3. In a medium-sized bowl add your EVOO, lemon juice and all spices. Whisk well. Add potatoes and fold into a creamy mixture. Coat every potato well. Increase spice/liquid amounts if the potatoes are not well-covered.
4. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and pour our sauced potatoes in a thin layer on the parchment.
5. Place in hot oven and bake for 18-20 minutes (broil an extra few minutes for extra-crispy edges), or until edges are crisp and browned and taters are tender inside...
Out of the oven:
Nice & Crispy:
6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before plating.
7. Serve hot with a side of Dijon mustard! Sprinkle extra pepper/salt on top if you'd like.