Breakfast Sandwiches get a bad reputation for being loading with not-so-nice ingredients. Well what if you could whip up a 100% vegan, delicious and energizing Vegan Breakfast Sandwich in just under 15 minutes flat - using real fresh veggies, hand-pressed soy sausage patties and real maple syrup? Your morning will get a lot brighter after this bite. Husband-approved! Check out how it's done...
To-Go Breakfast Sandwich:
Looks mainstream, but it's vegan!..
Panini Pressed. I used my panini press to whip this baby up - but you can use a traditional stove-top skillet and spatula - or a stove top grill press. Buy my fave grilling tools here.
So many vegan breakfast sandwiches to try!..
Green Kale Breakfast Sandwich:
Vegan Sausage. I used Lightlife Gimme Lean SausageStyle ground soy. It comes in the thick tube. 60 calories per 2 oz - plus it is fat free! 7 g protein per serving as well. Soy based. vegan. ps, there are a few non-vegan soy sausage-patties out there. They contain egg and sometimes dairy - read those labels!
15 Minute Breakfast Sandwich
This super easy vegan breakfast sandwich can be whipped up in just 15 minutes! Super flavorful!
- 1 English muffin
- 2 Tbsp soy vegan sausage, pressed into a round patty (GimmeLean used)
- 3 thin slices of bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegan shredded cheese, Daiya used
- 1 tsp harissa or hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 tsp maple syrup or jam (berry is best!)
- pinch of black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil for coating patty
- other optional toppings: greens like spinach, sliced mushrooms...
- Grab all you ingredients out of the fridge. Stick your English muffin - uncut under the grill press for 45 seconds while you arrange your ingredients.
- 2. Slice off 2 Tbsp of the vegan sausage (you know the kind that comes in the thick tube) and hand-press a nice patty. If you are feeling really adventurous, you can even press some diced onion into the patty as well.
- Rub the paty in a very light amount of EVOO and place it on the heated grill. Remove your English muffins and press the panini grill shut - or cover your stove top skillet with a heavy spatula or foil. You want it to cool through in just under 2 minutes. Thinner patties cook in a flash.
- Slice open your English Muffin and place the open faced ends back on the grill while you prep your veggies. Rub some sliced pepper in a bit of EVOO and place it on the grill as well.
- Close panini lid and allow the vegan sausage, peppers and bread to grill for another minute. After a minute, lift lid and observe doneness. Pull anything that looks very done. Otherwise turn off panini press and close to keep heated.
- Grab your cheese and sprinkle it right over top the patties - still on grill. Then place the sizzling hot peppers right on top of the cheese so that it creates a hot barrier - and close the panini press one more time. Yes, the panini press/grill is on off - but there will be enough heat from the grill and peppers to melt the cheese.
- Grab your English Muffin and spread 1 tsp buttery spread on one side - the maple syrup and/or jam on the other. Start building your sandwich: Muffin, patty (with cheese and peppers), layer your fresh spinach on top of that (and optional harissa) then close with top half of muffin. Slice. Serve! Tip: You can even wrap your sandwich up and take it on the road with you - maybe eat it on the subway and make everyone else jealous. OK, that's not nice. Eat it at home with a side of fresh fruit or juice. You'll feel sooo much better with a full belly on a busy day!
Yield: 1 sandwichPrep Time: 00 hrs. 08 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 07 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.Tags: breakfast,easy,vegan,breakfast sandwich, am,sandwich