My recipe for Sweet Chili Marinated Cucumber Salad is the perfect combination of zesty, sweet, spicy and cool. Cucumbers are such a versatile veggie to work with, and that's especially good when you have an extra large cuc in your fridge!...
Greenmarket Cucumber. Early this week I twit-pic'd a gorgeous extra large cucumber I purchased at the Greenmarket. It was about the length of a yard stick and nearly 3 1/2 inches across at the widest point. It was only $4. I had to buy it. It was a giggle-moment buying the ginormous veggie and shoving it in my nearly-too-small canvas bag, but it was mine. There's something about extra large fruit and veggies that makes me giddy. Giant Shiitakes. Monster-like fennel bulbs. Super-size my produce and it's all good times. But what do I do with my over sized cool, crunchy cucumber friend??? Here are my two cucumber recipes to chill you out...
First off is a cool salad recipe - perfect for make-ahead status...
Sweet Chili Marinated Cucumber Salad
2 cups cucumbers, paper-thinly sliced
*My cucumber was one of those 'seedless' with lighter than usual seeds. I highly suggest using that variety for this recipe.
1/4 cup sliced sweet onion
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp EVOO, fruity flavored
3 Tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup
1 tsp red pepper chili flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of pink Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
spritz of lemon juice
optional: 1 tsp fennel seeds or hemp seeds
1. Wash your cucumber. Slice paper thin and pile in bowl. Add sliced onion.
2. Toss cucumbers and onions in a spritz of lemon juice.
3. In separate bowl whisk together EVOO, ACV, maple or agave syrup and all spices.
4. Add cucumbers and whisked liquid to a large bowl and toss well so that the liquid coats each cucumber - don't let them all stick together.
5. Pour into a medium sized bowl. Cover and chill in fridge over night (or at least 2-3 hours at the least).
6. Serve alone or over top fresh zesty market greens like arugula or frisse. BONUS: You can use the leftover marinade as your salad dressing. Simply add some dry mixed greens, toss and serve the cucumbers overtop your greens.
Recipe #2 is a quickie and delicious open-faced sandwich, or tartine...
Tofu Cream Cheese Cucumber Tartine
vegan, makes two servings
1 sandwich sized ciabatta bread, multi-grain is best
3-4 Tbsp tofu cream cheese
1 cup sliced cucumbers
fresh black pepper grinder
pink Himalayan salt grinder
1. Wash and slice cucumbers
2. Slice ciabatta long ways and spread tofu cream cheese on top.
3. Layer cucumbers over bread and cream cheese. Grind a pinch of salt over top and plentiful amounts of fresh black pepper.