My Melted Cheese Apple Panini on cinnamon-raisin bread is the perfect panini sandwich to cozy-up your day. The flavors: creamy white Daiya cheese, thinly sliced green apples, a slice of red onion and a hint of red pepper - all on whole grain sweet raisin sliced bread. Panini press - and the flavors melt into each other like magic. Get my recipe...
Mutsu Apple Slices, EVOO, Red Pepper...
Green Apples. I am an apple lover. Each week I head to the Farmer's Market in Union Square and come back with more apples than I know what to do with. I love the giant yellow-green Mutsu apples the best. I slice them into salads, cube them into sangria, crunch on them whole and slather them in almond or peanut butter. Or, I slice them wide and thin for a super duper panini sandwich. Apples and cheese is quite the romantic combo...
And yes, Daiya vegan cheese melts magically...
Raisin Bread Inspired. Last week I was reading one of my favorite blogs Cup of Jo, and she had posted a melted cheese sandwich on raisin bread. I was inspired! I actually re-made my cheese/apple/onion sandwiches on raisin bread and fell in love. Jo got the idea from the She Eats Bears blog. So great ideas seem to spread like wildfire on the internet. Paninis using raisin bread...genius!
Note: You can use a panini press or a basic saute pan - or if you're really fancy, you can use a BBQ and give the burgers something to ogle at.
Here's my recipe..
Melted Cheese Apple Panini
vegan, makes 4 sandwiches
1 extra large green apple
*I used a Mutsu, aka Crispin
1 small red onion, or 1/2 a large red onion
8 slices of whole grain or sprouted grain raisin bread
*you can use cinnamon raisin or classic raisin
1/2 cups of shredded Daiya Italian blend cheese
*or sub another cheese brand. I also like Follow Your heart vegan cheese.
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
EVOO for drizzling
1. Slice your apple into thin wide rounds. Do the same with your onion. Set aside. Optional: squeeze some fresh lemon juice over top.
2. Grab you bread and layer it on the panini grill.
3. Add 2-3 Tbsp of Daiya cheese (or another brand) to the bread.
4. Add a slice of apple. Sprinkle some red pepper flakes and a drizzle of EVOO over top the apple.
5. Add one large slice of onion or two small slices.
6. Place the top layer of bread over the sandwich and repeat until the 4 sandwiches are prepared on grill.
7. Turn panini press on and grill for 3-5 min - depending on how hot your grill gets.
8. Remove from grill. Cool a bit. Slice and serve!
More Cheesy Pics...
Posted by Kathy on 5/25/2010