On the first day of vegan treats, my true love gave to me, a North Pole Peppermint Chai just for me.
Polar Express. This recipe is sweetly simple. You can whip it up faster than you can say "last minute shopping". The delightful minty flavor puts a festive holiday spin on a traditional chai latte. This warm mug of peppermint bliss is inspired by the frosty frozen nights Santa spends at the North Pole. I wouldn't be surprised if this was Santa's 'big night' pre-drink. Get the recipe...
12 Days of Vegan Treats here!!
2010 Holiday Recipe Inspirations here!!
Extra Easy. Extra Tea. Two things to note about this recipe: 1) it is super easy, yet the results are quite lovely. It's amazing what a few crumbles of candy cane can do for a hot beverage. 2) Yes, I added not one, but two tea bags to this recipe! I like my chai strong and bursting with tea antioxidants. So I add chai concentrate, a black tea bag and a green tea bag. Plus, that nice burst of black tea caffeine is great in the AM.
North Pole Peppermint Chai
vegan, serves one
makes one big mug or two little mugs
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 cup vegan chai liquid concentrate
1 Tbsp soy creamer
1 candy cane, smashed to bits
1 dash cayenne
2 dashes cinnamon
1 black tea bag
1 chai tea bag
Optional: frothing wand for milk (opt'l)
1. Pour your chai concentrate and 1/2 cup of soy milk into your serving mug. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until steamy HOT!
2. After microwaving, add the 2 tea bags to the liquid, let steep for 2-5 minutes. When bags have steeped, removes, squeeze excess liquid from bags back into mug.
3. Stir into your liquid 1 tsp of peppermint candy cane bits. Stir in your cinnamon and cayenne dashes too.
4. If you have a milk frother, froth the remaining soy milk and soy creamer into a foamy white pillow of liquid. Perfect frothing is done at about 60 degrees. If you don't have a frother you can heat this liquid to HOT and add to you beverage. You can add in a bi more soy creamer or replace a bit of the soy milk with soy creamer - for a creamier latte.
5. On top of your beverage (hopefully you have a nice mound of foam), sprinkle about a teaspoon of candy cane bits. Add another dash of cinnamon if you'd like.
Drink and enjoy this sweet minty refreshing tea latte!
Optional: add a swirl of rice cream or a few vegan marshmallows for an extra-decadent treat.