I'm obsessed with vegan tempeh bacon. I adore the BLT sandwich at Teany in NYC, featuring a smoky tempeh bacon. So, I needed my own recipe. Especially since I wanted to make a vegan club sandwich. You can't have a club without bacon! My recipe is a bit spicy, a tad sweet and a little smoky. And a lot yummy...
Tempeh Bacon Fills the Void. From sandwiches to tofu scrambles. Life calls for a little 'facon' (fake-in) once in a while. Thus vegan tempeh bacon fills the void. My recipe isn't as smoky as most I've seen. I'm not big on really smoky flavors. I wanted a more barbecue-ish flavor. So here's the recipe...
Tempeh Bacon, Vegan Facon
makes about 1/2 cup
*a nice stack for 1-2 sandwiches
5 ounces tempeh (2/3 a standard 8 ounce pack)
1-2 Tbsp maple or agave syrup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
a dash of cayenne
1 tsp liquid smoke (opt'l)
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp thick black pepper
for pan: 2 tsp olive oil
*if you don't have liquid smoke use these BBQ spice combos:
(garlic, pepper, paprika and onion)
1. Very thinly slice the tempeh.
2. As thin as you can slice it without it falling apart.
3. Combine all ingredients in a shallow dish.
4. Soak tempeh in marinade for 1-2 minutes.
5. Turn saute pan on high, add 1-2 tsp olive oil. Lay the tempeh flat on skillet. One layer only. Drizzle a bit of excess marinade onto skillet-it should be sizzling a lot now.
6. Allow to cook for 1 minute, then flip. Allow to cook for another minute on other side-or until both sides are crisp and browned.
7. Lay cooked tempeh on parchment paper to cool. Sprinkle with black pepper and thick sea salt to taste.
8. For a crisper tempeh bacon, do not pour excess marinade in skillet, and allow all liquid to steam off of pan while cooking.
...Marvel in your vegan culinary mastery. Move onto vegan bacon cupcakes perhaps...
Tempeh Vegan Bacon Uses: sandwiches, sides, sliced into salads, soups and heck even desserts - maybe.
Vegan Bacon in Use - Facon in my Savory Brunch Melty Muffin: